It's unbelievable how hard it can be when deciding what's best for your pet. You want to be sure they have the best treatment possible without adding more stress to the current problem. I want to thank all of you who answered my plea for advice last evening. I finally did get the estimate late last night (a total of $3033), however, still no call back. It was also explained that the estimate given is not final as there are other charges that can be incurred on the date of the exam. So in all reality, the estimate is not really an estimate. As much as I appreciated the time the doctor took to speak with me during the initial appointment the other day, I now have reservations about leaving Oreo at the clinic. I know that they have all of the latest technology and it's the only place you can really go for tests like Oreo was suggested to undergo. I just have this feeling that I really don't like about it all. You guys are right and I need to go with my gut on this one. I know that the place will sill be there after I've gotten a second opinion and I'll still be able to make another appointment if and when I decide it's the right thing to do.
I think so much has happened in the past few weeks and the answers have been so vague that I am having a real hard time trusting people. I also feel that Oreo needs a break and some time to enjoy himself at home without being dragged to another test or clinic. So I've decided to get a second opinion and try to find a Holistic or Naturopathic vet. I also found an Animal Communications Specialist but for whatever reason the appointments only seem to be by phone or Skype and not on site. I am not completely sure how it works but at this point I will try anything! If anyone has any additional information, please feel free to share it!
I have decided that I will also try the CBD Oil that many of you have suggested. I asked the neurologist about it the other day and she said that it won't hurt him and that many people choose to use it as an alternative therapy. So I know that there is no danger in trying it. I will try and find a local company that sells it for pets. There was an American company that had contacted me on Instagram and said they'd send me some but I don't think it will be able to be sent over the border. I think I am better off finding some here.
Ideally I would also like to take Oreo off the Phenobarbital as the neurologist said that she didn't think it was actually doing anything at the dose he has anyway. I will contact my regular vet about this today and see what they think. If they agree that we should try taking him off it, I am sure they will give me the process in order to do that. I don't know if Oreo will have to see my vet again for blood tests before going off of the meds. It's possible.
When I decided this last evening I felt a sigh of relief. I was actually able to sleep last night for the first time in weeks. I've been having these horrible nightmares that Oreo is drowning and I have to save him. I wake up in a pool of sweat and tears. Last night I slept through the whole night not even getting up once to go to the bathroom. That's pretty good because I always wake up at least once during the night. I will keep you guys posted on the progress we make. I know many of you have sent in donations already for the MRI and I thank all of you for your help. I will put everything aside and save it for what comes next. Even if he has the MRI is in a few weeks instead, we will have everything we need to cover it at that point in time.
I cannot thank you all enough for your help, kindness and generosity. I felt awful having second thoughts last nigh, but after reading everyone's comments, I feel much better and I am so glad I asked you all for advice.
The Oreo Cat calendars will continue to be available until the New Year. They're super cute and they make great Holiday gifts! I get $5 for each one sold and will put it towards towards vet bills.
Many of you have asked if you can just donate a few dollars so I made a PayPal link for $3 here: https://www.paypal.me/TModugno/3USD
Tina and Oreo.
Tina Modugno is a children’s illustrator from Canada. Tina loves all animals, kids books and cartoons! She currently resides in Quebec with her husband and four cats!